WHOLE30: Shopping and Meal Prep (Part 2)

whole30, paleo, health, lifestyle, food


First, let me just say that there is sugar in EVERYTHING. You would be hard-pressed to find a package of bacon without sugar of some kind. (I finally found some at Publix...3 months AFTER I started Whole30...)

The first trip to the grocery yielded, well... not enough food. I had no idea how hungry I would be!

The idea is to eat a lot at meals and not to snack in between those meals. The amount of food you have to eat on a WHOLE30 seems insane, but don't fret! If you're staying full until the next meal, you're doing it right.

Basically, when you're shopping, you'll be staying on the perimeter of the store. That's where the fresh vegetables, fruits, and meats are. Remember, anything in a box is more than likely not going to be compliant.

WHOLE30 Shopping List

I bought a LOT of sweet potatoes. Seriously, I had them every day, usually for more than one meal. I did my WHOLE30 over Thanksgiving and Christmas, so the sweet potatoes were usually on sale!

I also bought a lot of frozen veggies. Since fresh veggies can spoil too quickly, it's always good to have some in the freezer for quick prep.

Speaking of prep, listen up. MEAL PREP IS KEY.



You absolutely cannot allow yourself to be hungry with nothing ready to go. Unless you have a TON of willpower, you will cave and head to the nearest Burger King for some greasy fries, ruining everything.

I spent a couple of hours every Sunday afternoon making my meals for the week. 100% worth it.

For breakfast, I usually sautéed sweet potatoes and/or apples and had those ready in the fridge for quick warming while I fried a couple of eggs and chopped some fruit.



Lunch had to be something I could pack and take with me, so that usually consisted of a salad or soup. Several days I just packed a baked sweet potato, some ground chicken (SO much more flavorful than ground turkey!), and green beans.



Since I had more time to cook for dinner, I could bake some salmon or saute some chicken tenderloins. Adding an already-baked sweet potato and some veggies, and I was good to go!



I will admit, for the 30 days, I didn't really think outside the box too much with recipes. I'm a simple girl, and I don't need to make things with 17 ingredients to be happy. But now, I'm doing Paleo, so I'm experimenting a bit since the rules are a little more relaxed.

I realize this might sound really difficult. It's a lot of trouble! But I cannot say this enough: It is completely, 100% worth it. This changed my life.

Read about it in my next post, WHOLE30: Was it Worth It?


0 comments