On Trust, Lies, and the Chase

"How tragic that when we chase something in this world, we're actually running away from the stable trust and secure love our souls long for the most. Our souls were created to be pursued and fulfilled by God's love and goodness. Other chases deplete us and erode our trust." (Uninvited, 64)


There was a time in my life when I wanted anything but God. I had been harmed by His people, and I was running as hard as I possibly could to remove myself from that pain. Spending years trying my hardest to fill the void and ease the pain only brought me more pain and confusion.

The enemy whispers his lies into our eager ears. He wants us to believe that there is something else out there that will offer better fullness than God; we believe the lie and push God aside to make room for whatever it is that Satan has convinced us we need. If we aren't spending our days with our Savior, we will likely fall right into the trap.

The trap of relationships or food or sex or busyness or something else we claim to need.

But, all the while, we know deep down that are still aren't full, even if we get the very thing we set out to attain. We're still empty because we're trying to fill the void with everything other than what we were made for- the love and protection of Christ.

"All my fountains are in You." (Psalm 87:7)

We are desperate to belong, to matter, to feel complete. He put that desire in our souls from the start so that we would seek after Him.

"How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty. My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God." (Psalm 84:1-2)

Why do we insist on chasing everything under the sun? Why do we think we need to do some kind of "Eat, Pray, Love" thing to be happy? Why don't we just give ourselves to the One who is perfectly made to fit our needs?

The answer?

We do not trust the Creator and Lover of our souls. We have forgotten over and over again that He is FOR us. He gives good gifts to His children. He is enough.

"For God has said, 'I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.' So we can say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?'" (Hebrews 13:5-6)

Dear one, stop chasing things that will never fulfill your soul. Jesus pursues you passionately; stop running.

0 comments