On Breaking Down Walls



“I just don’t think I can admit that to the world.  What will people think of me?  I will be completely rejected.”

The words slowly emerge from her lips, lips that long to speak of stories deep and personal, stories from years past that continue to haunt.

“I’m better off keeping it to myself anyway.  Nobody needs to know what I did.”

And I watch as she stuffs the past deep down, hoping to move on and nudge our conversation to the next topic, one much less invasive and vulnerable.

But my heart does not move on.  I continually wonder why we are so drawn to isolation of the spirit when it comes to revealing our struggles.  We carefully choose words, making sure we never say too much, and we fool ourselves into thinking we can survive this life all alone.  After all, if we ever admit the truth, we’ll be alone anyway, right?  Nobody will understand.

We’ve been hurt in the past.  Hurt by women who took our pain and refused to tread lightly.  And after awhile, we got really good at building walls or stone to protect ourselves.  Sadly, the walls also keep us in, and eventually WE don’t even know who we really are anymore.  

Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.  (Ephesians 4:25 ESV)

Allowing others to share in our struggles may sound scary, but if we allow Him, God might surprise us!  There is freedom in being authentic!  Why do we fool ourselves into thinking that our sin is so much worse than everyone else’s?  And why do we refuse the opportunity to proclaim the grace of Jesus Christ in our rescue?

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV)

Anything God has saved us from is an outpouring of His power and His affection for us.  It’s a stunning story of redemption, proof of His salvation!  Our weakness exhibits His strength.

Unless we never break the walls.


0 comments